A restoration

This little peggie came in a bulk auction and was looking a little the worse for wear…

   

So, I took her apart..

 

Sorted out the individual parts and put her back together again! The peg was a lovely shape (definately vintage possibly older) so I sand papered off the less than attractive face, gave the whole thing a rub down, painted on a new face (using acrylic paint and a very fine brush) and gave it a varnish…

The skirt didn’t need much work as it had originally been stitched so I tidied up the bottom and added a lenth of lace around the edge before putting it back on the doll…

 I used the original pipecleaner covering it in ‘flair’ ribbon and wrapped it around the peg…

 

I also managed to reuse the fabric for the top although it needed tidying up and the edges oversewing. I sewed it around the arms so it wouldn’t move and fray further, then tied a white satin ribbon around her waist. I added a pearl necklace and a shawl around her shoulders (the lace part of an old top I was throwing out!). The hair I had to remake, and did this using a black stranded cotton which I made into a cord and glued onto her head winding it around in a circle finishing in the centre. The hat I reused, pulling the card out of the middle and stitched a buttonhole around the edge to secure the pieces of fabric together. I added a lace motif to the top and attached the hat at a angle.

 The whole project took me about 2 hours and I think you will agree, she scrubbed up quite nicely!

  

And I think it’s worth just putting the before and after pictures together…

  

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s