Ok, you can see from the last post that she is in pretty bad condition!
I gave the pink brocade a wash in something pretty strong, but that glue isn’t shifting. So, only thing to be done with it is to cut off as much as possible and hide the rest in seams and under embellishments! I have attached a fairly white band of lace to the bottom:
The sequins were past being used also, so I found some nice iridescent white ones and sewed these over the ribbon:
The skirt will be sewn together down the end and gathered at the top ready for re-fitting. Next thing to sort is the wooden peg!
I have some what neglected my little peg dolls and this blog over the last few months, so I shall attempt to remedy that this month! If you are new to this site, let me just run through what you can expect to find here:
Lots of picture of dolls old and new (mine and others), to inspire you
Peg doll projects -learn how to make you very own doll with these step by step guides
Peg doll video project
Hints, tips and ideas for your own dolls
Peg doll kits and goodies for you to buy
Use the tags to find what you are looking for, or browse through the posts. If you have any dolls of your own, (including ones made by yourself!) why not show them of here on the ‘Your dolly peg’ page? Send me your images to: firstname.lastname@example.org
I thought it would be a good idea to kick off from the lull of that last few months with an explanation of the dolls at the top the blog. These are the oldest ones I have . I was told they are about 1930’s- 1940’s, and there is a set of 18. All bar one have wooden arms, the final one having a pipecleaner. They are crudely painted in yellow, blue and red and are varnished. I think they are fantastic and have plans to paint modern versions! Here is the whole family:
Keep any eye out for the new ones! In the next post we will look at some peg doll patterns…
I have done several restoration projects recently and thought I would try this one in video format! Follow the link below to see the following restoration:
Peg doll restoration video
I thought a bride peg dolly would be appropriate to go with the current Royal Wedding fever which is certainly gripping the UK at the moment!
This doll is definately vintage if not a bit older and has a wonderful silk dress and long train. The face lets it down a bit, I’m in two minds whether to try and change it or not…
Some dolls just need a little repair to bring them back to life. This peg came in quite good condition, all her clothes were sewn on which always helps (no nasty glue residue to try and get rid of). Don’t forget you can use the step by step photos of all the restoraton projects on this blog to help you make your own doll.
The original doll:
The first thing to do is take the doll apart trying to keep all the parts in as good a condition as possible
I sanded the face off as the face wasn’t in the centre. I took a photograph however, so I could paint on the new face to be like the old one. I also painted on red shoes then varnished the whole peg. I used a piece of new lace to make a bodice to go under the dress just by wrapping it around the peg and sewing it together at the back:
I decided to make the dress into a skirt. I added on a piece of the same lace I used for the bodice along the bottom of the skirt. It was already well stitched into a tube so I didn’t need to restitch it although I did iron it before I put it back on the peg, and I did sew a new gathering thread around the top of the skirt. I gathered this up, placed the skirt on the peg and sewed the thread up tightly. I bent the original pipe cleaner arms into shape and placed arounde the back of the doll sewing them to the lace bodice to hold them in place:
I ironed the shawl and recut the edges just to neaten them up. I wrapped it around her shoulders and sewed in together at the front with a sequin and bead. I made new hair but used brown wool as she had had before.
Now she looks as good as new!
Well spring is here along soon to be joined by a very Royal Wedding! I’m sure many other weddings will be happening very soon too, so I thought I would share a Peg bride and groom with you.
This little peggie came in a bulk auction and was looking a little the worse for wear…
So, I took her apart..
Sorted out the individual parts and put her back together again! The peg was a lovely shape (definately vintage possibly older) so I sand papered off the less than attractive face, gave the whole thing a rub down, painted on a new face (using acrylic paint and a very fine brush) and gave it a varnish…
The skirt didn’t need much work as it had originally been stitched so I tidied up the bottom and added a lenth of lace around the edge before putting it back on the doll…
I used the original pipecleaner covering it in ‘flair’ ribbon and wrapped it around the peg…
I also managed to reuse the fabric for the top although it needed tidying up and the edges oversewing. I sewed it around the arms so it wouldn’t move and fray further, then tied a white satin ribbon around her waist. I added a pearl necklace and a shawl around her shoulders (the lace part of an old top I was throwing out!). The hair I had to remake, and did this using a black stranded cotton which I made into a cord and glued onto her head winding it around in a circle finishing in the centre. The hat I reused, pulling the card out of the middle and stitched a buttonhole around the edge to secure the pieces of fabric together. I added a lace motif to the top and attached the hat at a angle.
The whole project took me about 2 hours and I think you will agree, she scrubbed up quite nicely!
And I think it’s worth just putting the before and after pictures together…